Home » Can I Migrate to Canada With 3rd Class Degree?

Can I Migrate to Canada With 3rd Class Degree?

Migrate to canada with 3rd Class Degree

A lot of students do ask this question if it is possible to migrate and study in Canada with a second class lower or third class degree. It is a very common question graduates who intend to further their studies in Canada do ask. The majority of students always set their target to graduate with a first-class or a second class upper degree.

However, we do not get everything we hope for, some students end up with a 2.2 or a 3rd class degree. Previously, institutions in Canada did not accept you to migrate and study for masters directly with a 3rd class degree, the only option then was to apply for Post Graduate Diploma, Certification Programme and Post-degree Certificate.

Presently there is a chance of migrating and furthering to obtain a postgraduate degree in Canada with a 3rd class degree. Before we delve into the possibility of migrating and studying in Canada, let briefly take a look at why Canada is a popular destination for international graduate students.


Why Masters Degree From Canada?

Canada has been one of the major study abroad destinations for international students. Canada offers top quality, research-oriented education which is recognized globally. Canada is very safe, secure and very welcoming to international students.

Canada is known to be one of the best countries to live in and aids in human development. A lot of international students apply to study at Canadian universities every year and numerous universities are ranked in the top 100 globally.

The major question is if you can actually study for your master’s degree with a 3rd class degree in a Canadian university.


How to migrate to Canada for masters with a 3rd class degree

You will be required to submit the following as part of your application:

  • An application form, the form should be well completed: Form is usually submitted online
  • A certified copy of your transcripts and other educational qualifications.
  • A CV
  • English and/or French language proficiency test, based on the program that you are applying for and the province.
  • Recommendation letters/references
  • Motivation letter or personal statement

International students who completed their post-secondary education outside of Canada might have to go for an evaluation to verify and determine the academic documents submitted.

Also, note that you are required to pay an international credential evaluation fee unless you have already gotten a third-party international credential evaluation report.

The application in which you submitted will be assessed to ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements. After that, it is sent to the school/faculty, which will also carry out their own assessment to check the academic quality of your application for your program choice.

Successful candidates will receive a letter of admission, which will be required to be able to apply for a visa to migrate to Canada. Below is a list of universities you can apply to and migrate to Canada with a 3rd class degree.

List of Universities you can Apply to and Migrate to Canada with a 3rd Class

  • University Of Waterloo, Ontario
  • McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
  • University Of Toronto, Ontario
  • Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C.
  • Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario
  • Universite DE Montreal, Quebec
  • McMaster University
  • Universite DU Quebec
  • University Of Windsor
  • Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
  • University Of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
  • Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec
  • Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal
  • University Of Western Ontario
  • McMaster University
  • University Of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
  • University Of Victoria, B.C.
  • York University
  • University Of Calgary, Alberta
  • University Of Saskatchewan
  • Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal
  • University Of Western Ontario

This list is not an exclusive list of universities in Canada that accept 3rd class degrees. As stated above, most universities in Canada accept a 2:1 degree. Another option for 3rd class degree holders is that most of the universities above will give you an opportunity to do a postgraduate degree before switching to your MSc program in Canada.

Additionally, your chances of migrating to Canada as a 3rd class degree holder depends on many factors which include, the university, your preferred course, your personal statement or purpose for migrating to Canada to study, your reference letter and others.

Note that migrating to Canada with a 3rd class degree to study in any university of your choice is not an easy task. Only a few universities will accept you for a direct master’s degree program with a 3rd class degree and a bit of luck is also needed.