Software engineers focus on applying the principles of engineering to software development. Their role includes analyzing and modifying existing software as well as designing, constructing and testing end-user applications that meet user needs — all through software programming languages.
- Location: Calgary, AB
- Salary: 47.12 hourly for 30 to 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
What does a Software Engineer do?
Software Engineers create software using the right programming languages, platforms and architectures. Not only do they build their systems, but they also develop, test, improve and maintain software by other engineers.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Software Engineer?
Software engineers review upcoming project deadlines and plan work activities around those dates and other obligations throughout an average shift. This can include testing & troubleshooting defects in coding done and collaboration with fellow software engineering employees for complex tasks like updating software systems or adding new ones.
A Software Engineer is an IT professional who designs, develops and maintains computer software at a company. They use their creativity and technical skills and apply the principles of software engineering to help solve new and ongoing problems for an organization.
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to design, develop and install software solutions.
Software Engineer responsibilities include gathering user requirements, defining system functionality and writing code in various languages, like Java, Ruby on Rails or .NET programming languages (e.g. C++ or JScript.NET.) Our ideal candidates are familiar with the software development life cycle (SDLC) from preliminary system analysis to tests and deployment.
Ultimately, the role of the Software Engineer is to build high-quality, innovative and fully performing software that complies with coding standards and technical design.
- Execute full software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to identify requirements and solutions
- Write well-designed, testable code
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
- Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
- Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
- Document and maintain software functionality
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Deploy programs and evaluate user feedback
- Comply with project plans and industry standards
- Ensure software is updated with latest features
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer
- Experience designing interactive applications
- Ability to develop software in Java, Ruby on Rails, C++ or other programming languages
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC)
- Experience with test-driven development
- Proficiency in software engineering tools
- Ability to document requirements and specifications
- BSc degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
- College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
2 years to less than 3 years
- Collect and document user’s requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
- Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
- Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
- Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
- Assess, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
- Lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- XML Technology (XSL,XSD,DTD)
- Object-Oriented programming languages
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Team player
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
2635 37 Avenue NE suite 245