Driver supervisors are in charge of a team of drivers. They monitor the performance of their employees and ensure that they are following company policies and procedures, as well as federal and state regulations. In addition to being managers, driver supervisors also act as mentors and advisors for their teams.
- Location: Surrey, BC
- Salary: 28.00 hourly for 35 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
Driver Supervisor Job Duties
A driver supervisor typically has a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Monitoring operations and communicating with other members of staff via radio or phone
- Inspecting vehicles to make sure that they are in good working order, including brakes, tires, lights, and oil levels
- Arranging for the repair of damaged vehicles or scheduling replacements for vehicles that cannot be repaired
- Training new drivers on safety procedures and rules, such as how to operate a fleet of vehicles or equipment used to load or unload cargo
- Maintaining accurate records of fuel usage, mileage, repairs made to vehicles, accident reports, and other pertinent information
- Reporting accidents or other problems to management so that they can be addressed appropriately
- Coordinating with dispatch to ensure that all vehicles are on schedule to meet customer demands
- Supervising employees to ensure that they are performing their jobs properly
- Making sure that drivers are adhering to company policies regarding safe driving practices and customer service
Driver Supervisor Skills
Driver supervisors need the following skills in order to be successful:
Communication: Driver supervisors must be able to communicate with their team and their managers. You may be responsible for training new drivers, so you should be able to explain processes and procedures clearly. You may also be responsible for communicating with customers and clients, so you should be able to explain any issues or concerns.
Leadership: Driver supervisors often use their leadership skills to train and motivate their teams. They may also use leadership skills to resolve conflicts between team members and to ensure that their teams are following company policies.
Teamwork: As a driver supervisor, you may be in charge of a team of other driver managers. Being able to work well with others is an important skill for this job. You may also work with other supervisors and managers to ensure that your team is operating efficiently.
Time management: Time management is the ability to plan and execute tasks in a timely manner. Driver supervisors may need to schedule and coordinate the work of their team, so it’s important for them to be able to manage their time effectively. This can help them meet deadlines and ensure that their team is able to complete all of their duties.
Problem-solving: Driver supervisors may need to solve issues that arise during training sessions or while on the road with a driver. For example, if a driver has difficulty backing up a vehicle, the driver supervisor may need to help them find a solution. Similarly, if a driver has a question about how to handle a customer complaint, the driver supervisor may need to help them find a solution
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
- Supervise workers and projects
- Train or arrange for training
- Co-ordinate and schedule activities
- Ensure health and safety regulations are followed
- Co-ordinate repairs and rentals
- Requisition or order materials, equipment and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve work methods
- 5-10 people
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- MS Excel
- MS Word
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Work under pressure
- Team player
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter