A Payroll Clerk, or Payroll Administrator, process employees’ paychecks by collecting their payroll data and timesheets. Their duties include verifying employees’ work hours and payment through the payroll system, issuing deductions, earnings and other statements to employees and updating payroll records regularly.
- Location: Dawson Creek, BC
- Salary: $25.00 to $33.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
A Payroll Clerk is a professional who is responsible for processing employees’ paychecks by collecting their data and timesheets. Their duties include verifying work hours, issuing deductions from wages or other earnings statements to workers, and updating records regularly to keep things running smoothly within a company.
- Managing compensation packages using payroll software
- Collecting and verifying timekeeping information for all employees
- Calculating pay according to hours worked incorporating leaves and overtime
We are looking for a qualified Payroll Clerk to assist in all activities regarding the management of employee compensation in the company. You will undertake a variety of tasks such as entering payroll information, calculating wages and making payments.
An excellent payroll clerk has great understanding of the concept of confidentiality. You will be experienced in entering data with attention to detail and will have good maths skills to make the necessary calculations. The ideal candidate will be a thorough professional with good communication abilities.
The goal is to carry out all payroll procedures with speed and accuracy.
- Manage compensation packages using payroll software
- Collect and verify timekeeping information for all employees
- Calculate pay according to hours worked incorporating leaves and overtime
- Calculate bonuses and commissions when appropriate
- Manage and calculate taxes and deductions
- Initiate periodical payments timely either by preparing and administering checks or making direct deposits through a bank payment system
- Issues statements and invoices and maintain records
- Update paper and electronic payroll records by entering adjustments on pay rates, employee status changes etc.
- Calculate unemployment and severance payments
- Deal with complaints and questions regarding payroll from employees and upper management
- Investigate and resolve any discrepancies in payroll
- Prepare and submit reports with payroll information to supervisor
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as payroll clerk or payroll manager
- Familiarity with general accounting principles
- Experience in data collection, entry and reporting with great attention to detail and confidentiality
- Solid knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and regulations
- Computer savvy with working knowledge of relevant software (e.g. Payforce)
- Exquisite math and numerical skills
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication abilities with aptitude in problem-solving
- High school diploma or equivalent; BSc/BA in accounting/business administration is a plus
No degree, certificate or diploma
2 years to less than 3 years
- Specific Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Maintain payroll; Inform employees about payroll matters and benefit plans; Compile statistics and reports; Prepare and balance period-end reports and reconcile issued payrolls to bank statements; Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, union dues, garnishments and insurance and pension plans
- Business Equipment and Computer Applications
- MS Excel; MS Word
- Additional Skills
- Perform clerical duties, such as maintain filing systems
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Personal Suitability
- Accurate; Team player; Reliability; Organized
- Health benefits
- Health care plan; Disability benefits; Dental plan; Vision care benefits
- Screening questions
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Health care plan, Disability benefits, Dental plan, Vision care benefits
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply