The Personal Care Aide will assist the elderly, convalescents, or persons with disabilities with daily living activities in the persons home or in a care facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house (making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes) and preparing meals.
- Location: Alliston, ON
- Salary: $15.19 to $17.54HOUR hourly for 30 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Weekend, Overtime, On Call, Flexible Hours, To be determined, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits
- Vacancies: 3 vacancies
We are looking for a competent personal care assistant to support physically or mentally challenged customers in their everyday lives. The fulfilment and satisfaction that comes with helping others surpasses the challenges of this job.
If you’re a compassionate, positive person who isn’t afraid to work hard, then this is a job for you. We expect you to be polite and a good communicator. Experience in housekeeping tasks and caring for the elderly or sick will make you a strong candidate.
- Ensure clients receive their medication on time
- Support clients who can’t move on their own
- Help clients dress, bathe, eat etc.
- Assist clients with physical therapy exercises
- Cook meals according to the customer’s restrictions
- Help customers with their shopping
- Do necessary housekeeping to maintain a clean environment
- Provide emotional support
- Inform physicians or supervisors about uncommon events
- Act quickly and responsibly in cases of emergency
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as personal care assistant
- Committed to health & safety
- Able to do housework and cooking
- Well-organized and reliable
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Positive and compassionate attitude
- Strong ethics
- Physical stamina
- CPR certified
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver’s licence
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
First Aid Certificate; CPR Certificate
- Specific Skills
- Transport patients in wheelchair or stretcher; Take patients’ blood pressure, temperature and pulse; Supervise patients’ exercise routines; Prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing operative areas; Collect specimens; Bathe, dress and groom patients; Answer call signals; Weigh, lift, turn and position patients; Accompany patients on outside recreational activities and perform other duties related to patient care and comfort
- Additional Skills
- Serve meal trays and feed patients; Make beds and maintain patients’ rooms; Maintain inventory of supplies; Supply and empty bed pans; Assist with the set-up and maintenance of traction equipment, cleaning or sterilizing equipment, maintaining and repairing equipment, and assembling, setting-up and operating job-related equipment; Deliver messages, reports, requisitions and specimens between departments; Transport patients between care facilities
- Weight Handling
- More than 45 kg (100 lbs)
- Work Setting
- Home care and visiting care agency; Nursing home/home for the aged
- Security and Safety
- Bondable; Drug test; Immunization records; Tuberculosis test; Criminal record check
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Repetitive tasks; Physically demanding; Attention to detail; Ability to distinguish between colours; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Standing for extended periods; Walking; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Personal Suitability
- Initiative; Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Team player; Excellent oral communication; Client focus; Interpersonal awareness; Dependability; Judgement; Reliability; Organized
- Health benefits
- Health care plan; Dental plan; Vision care benefits
- Screening questions
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?; Do you currently reside in proximity to the advertised location?; What is your current level of study?; What is the highest level of study you have completed?; Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?; Are you available for shift or on-call work?
Health care plan, Dental plan, Vision care benefits
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter
- Copy of portfolio or relevant work examples
- Highest level of education and name of institution where it was completed