Sewing machine operators use sewing machines to sew or decorate clothing and other products. They keep machines stocked with thread, position material under needles, and guide their stitching to sew parts together. When a product is finished, these operators measure each item to ensure accuracy. Sewing machine operators create clothing, drapery, and similar items from fabric. Sewing machine operators are also known as seamstresses.
- Location: 9600 MEILLEUR suite 931v Montréal, QCH2N 2E3
- Salary: $20.00HOUR hourly for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a decisive and attentive sewing machine operator to construct and alter attire and other pieces. As a sewing machine operator, you should use patterns, intuition, or both, depending on each task’s specifications. You should also meet with clients to craft and tailor bespoke pieces, as required.
To ensure success as a sewing machine operator, you should display an impeccable awareness of all sewing procedures. An outstanding sewing machine operator will be able to repair minor problems affecting their equipment.
Sewing Machine Operator Responsibilities:
- Deciding on appropriate sewing techniques before work commences.
- Meeting with consumers and inspecting patterns to determine each job’s requirements.
- Performing alterations to existing patterns or creating your own ones.
- Selecting suitable thread and placing this onto the spool spin.
- Cutting, sewing, and gluing fabric according to the requirements of each article.
- Affixing buttons, zippers, clasps, laces, and similar fittings.
- Operating the foot pedal, plus the stitch length and width regulators, as you sew.
- Replacing the sewing machine’s needle, as required.
- Detecting and repairing basic faults with the sewing machine as they occur.
- Scheduling repairs for the sewing machine and its fittings, as needed.
Sewing Machine Operator Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Completion of a sewing course is preferred.
- Demonstrable experience as a sewing machine operator.
- Ability to create, read, and follow patterns.
- Working knowledge of sewing machine mechanics.
- Outstanding eyesight or utilization of corrective measures.
- Innovative, thoughtful, and attentive to detail.
- Top-notch interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage your time effectively.
English or French
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience an asset
- Specific Skills
- Operate sewing machines or sew by hand
- Equipment and Machinery Experience
- Single needle machine; Serger or overlock; Double needle machine
- Work Site Environment
- Noisy; Dusty
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Public transportation is available
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Repetitive tasks; Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Sewing Experience
- Whole garment
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply