For new participants, counselors explain rules, collect payments and assign them to teams as needed. They then organize and distribute equipment, and oversee the activity. They may modify the recreation for special groups, such as seniors or the disabled. counselors guide and ensure the safety of children as they engage in camp activities. They assist in the activity planning process, receive special training to fully support children, and lead them as they participate in camp events.
- Location: Victoria, BC
- Salary: $20.00HOUR hourly for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Long term benefits
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for an enthusiastic, attentive camp counselor to lead, support, and motivate campers as they enjoy all that the camp has to offer. The camp counselor will help plan events and lead group events, monitor campers and respond to incidents, such as behavioral problems or accidents, log events and maintain records relating to activities, and discuss camper participation and concerns with parents and other camp staff members. You should be positive, proactive, and caring while focusing on giving campers a fun, safe camp experience.
To succeed as a camp counselor, you should be upbeat, decisive, and responsible. You should also be organized and possess strong leadership skills.
Camp Counselor Responsibilities:
- Working with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp events.
- Leading and supporting campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities.
- Monitoring campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevent accidents.
- Cleaning, maintaining and ensuring proper use of camp facilities and equipment.
- Reporting and recording details of incidents, such as accidents or rule violations, to parents and camp staff.
- Memorizing all emergency procedures and enforcing camp rules.
- Participating in staff meetings.
Camp Counselor Requirements:
- High school diploma, equivalent, or active enrollment in school.
- Experience working in camps, with children, or with specific activities may be preferred.
- First aid, CPR, and additional training may be required or beneficial.
- Physical ability to participate in activities, run, climb, swim, lift, or support the weight of children.
- Ability to pass a background check, a physical, and proof of immunizations.
- High level of responsibility and accountability.
- Upbeat, engaging personality.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
or equivalent experience
1 year to less than 2 years
- Additional Skills
- Supervise professional staff, program leaders and instructors and volunteer staff; Perform administrative tasks
- Work Setting
- Community service organization
- Security and Safety
- Driver’s validity licence check; Driving record check (abstract); Criminal record check
- Transportation/Travel Information
- Own vehicle; Valid driver’s licence
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Ability to Supervise
- 1 to 2 people; 3-4 people; 5-10 people
- Personal Suitability
- Team player; Excellent oral communication; Excellent written communication; Judgement; Organized
- Health benefits
- Health care plan; Dental plan; Vision care benefits
- Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits; Other benefits
Health care plan, Dental plan, Vision care benefits
Long term benefits
Group insurance benefits, Other benefits
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Persons with disabilities, Newcomers to Canada, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
471 Cecelia Road
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter