The duties and responsibilities of a Waiter/Waitress include welcoming and seating guests, taking guest orders, communicating them effectively to the kitchen and in addition, memorizing the menu and offering recommendations to upsell appetizers, desserts, or drinks.
- Location: 350 SPADINA AVE Toronto, ONM5T 2G4
- Salary: $15.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Flexible Hours, To be determined, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are looking for a skilled Waiter or Waitress to take orders and deliver food and beverages to our customers.
The right Waiter/Waitress uplifts the dining experience for customers. We are looking for someone who will have the patience, personality and perseverance to thrive in this role.
Waiter/Waitress responsibilities include greeting and serving customers, providing detailed information on menus, multi-tasking various front-of-the-house duties and collecting the bill. If you are able to perform well in fast-paced environments, we’d like to meet you. To be a successful Waiter or Waitress, you should be polite with our customers and make sure they enjoy their meals. You should also be a team player and be able to effectively communicate with our Kitchen Staff to make sure orders are accurate and delivered promptly.
Keep in mind that Waiter/Waitress duties may require working in shifts and/or occasionally during weekends and holidays.
Ultimately, it is the duty of our Waiters/Waitresses to provide an excellent overall dining experience for our guests.
- Greet and escort customers to their tables
- Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients or potential food allergies)
- Prepare tables by setting up linens, silverware and glasses
- Inform customers about the day’s specials
- Offer menu recommendations upon request
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate
- Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software,order slips or by memorization
- Check customers’ IDs to ensure they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
- Serve food and drink orders
- Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
- Arrange table settings and maintain a tidy dining area
- Deliver checks and collect bill payments
- Carry dirty plates, glasses and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
- Meet with restaurant staff to review daily specials, changes on the menu and service specifications for reservations (e.g. parties)
- Follow all relevant health department regulations
- Provide excellent customer service to guests
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Waiter or Waitress
- Hands-on experience with cash register and ordering information system (e.g. Revel POS or Toast POS)
- Basic math skills
- Attentiveness and patience for customers
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Active listening and effective communication skills
- Team spirit
- Flexibility to work in shifts
- High school diploma; food safety training is a plus
No degree, certificate or diploma
- Food and Beverage Serving Skills
- Advise on menu selections; Serve food and beverages; Present bills to customers and accept payment in cash, credit or debit cards, travellers cheques or room billings; Describe menu items including daily specials for customers; Take orders and relay to kitchen and bar staff; Greet patrons, present menus, make recommendations and answer questions regarding food and beverages
- Business Equipment and Computer Applications
- Aloha Point of Sale (POS)
- Additional Skills
- Supervise other servers and bussing staff; Clear and clean tables, trays and chairs; Balance cash and record sales; Provide customer service; Assist clients/guests with special needs
- Weight Handling
- Up to 9 kg (20 lbs)
- Work Setting
- Work Site Environment
- Noisy; Odours
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Physically demanding; Standing for extended periods; Bending, crouching, kneeling; Overtime required
- Ability to Supervise
- 16-20 people
- Work Location Information
- Urban area
- Personal Suitability
- Initiative; Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Team player; Client focus; Reliability; Organized
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Seniors, Veterans, Visible minorities, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply