Inspects dairy, garden, poultry, orchard, and other units; confers with and advises project leaders on problems; requisitions equipment and materials; approves work schedules. Plans and supervises the planting, cultivating, harvesting and storing of field and garden crops on large and complex institutional farms.
- Location: 4966 176th Street Surrey, BCV3Z 1C2
- Salary: $19.00HOUR hourly for 35 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- vacancies: 3 vacancies
Farm managers supervise staff, monitor crops and animals, and handle various administrative tasks. They prepare budgets, purchase supplies, maintain relationships with vendors and clients, and ensure maximum profitability.
We are searching for a manager with good business sense to join our team. The farm manager’s responsibilities include monitoring staff, crops, and livestock, purchasing supplies, preparing budgets and reports, and ensuring maximum profit. You should be able to maintain professional networks and keep abreast of developments in agricultural science.
To be successful as a farm manager, you be detail-oriented but also keep the bigger picture in mind. Outstanding candidates are keen problem solvers who are focused on efficiency and take a hands-on approach to management.
Farm Manager Responsibilities:
- Analyzing existing operations, crops, livestock, staff, and financial documents and recommending improvements.
- Preparing plans and schedules for planting and harvesting and ensuring staff understands expectations.
- Visiting the different divisions to inspect crops, livestock, and also perform tests on soil and water.
- Ensuring seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and other supplies are regularly restocked.
- Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
- Handling the marketing and sale of products produced on the farm like fruit, vegetables, dairy, meat, and grain.
- Ensuring all staff adheres to health and safety regulations.
- Assisting with the recruitment and training of new staff members.
- Collaborating with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports.
- Building professional networks and keeping abreast of developments in agricultural science.
Farm Manager Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, animal science, or equivalent.
- Additional courses in business management or administration are recommended.
- Extensive experience in a farming-related field.
- Management experience would be a plus.
- A passion for agriculture.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
1 year to less than 2 years
- Type of Crops
- Work Site Environment
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Attention to detail; Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Farm Supervisors Specific Skills
- Co-ordinate and supervise the work of general farm workers and harvesting labourers; Develop work schedules and establish procedures; Supervise and oversee growing and other crop-related operations; Ensure farm safety and bio-security procedures are followed
- Personal Suitability
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply